January 8, 2012

Experimenting with Melody Miller

Have you seen the Ruby Star collections from Melody Miller? They are very.... interesting and unique I would say. Not for everyone but I've found myself interested in them from the beginning. I finally broke down and bought some of the Ruby Star Rising - old collection, and the Ruby Star Shining - new collection. I was VERY modest in my purchase since it is rather expensive fabric, and this is what I've come up with so far:

Ruby Star Rising - Bee


I think I like this block better on point, but that means it will be very large once the setting triangles are added. I was thinking this will be a fun Spring pillow, but as I don't have any concrete designs for it yet, it will remain as such for a while. Let me know if you have any thoughts/suggestions - would love to hear them!

I will say that I was a bit disappointed in my 1/2 yard cut of the above fabric tho - for that much fabric and money, I only had 1 full bee and some bee wings sticking out on the bottom of my cut - plus the rest of the geometric shapes taking up the space. A little frustrating because this piece here is all I will use after spending 10$ but o well... you live and learn.  One expensive little bee :-p

Ruby Star Shining

I was REALLY pleased with the prints above - the clocks are 2 of 4 repeating patterns and the typewriter is a repeating pattern of its own on another print. I broke down and bought a 1/2 yard of each - could not resist and they look so fun together!

My Orange Essex linen went perfectly with this linen blend fabric as far as texture and color. I am thinking of doing that darker blue from the center around the outside of the 2 side pieces, and then the lighter aqua blue around the center piece and making them all the same size with those borders. I may do a final orange border around the whole thing and have a nice big rectangle pillow to snuggle. That is the plan for now anyway... it is also leaning towards being a gift pillow for a certain someone but I'll have to decide when it is finished.

I really should be working on my 3 x 6 Bee blocks but I couldn't resist playing a little this weekend :)
Hope your weekend is lovely too!

Linking up with:




Fresh Poppy Design & WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

5 comments:

**nicke... said...

i love melody millers fabric. i have yet to break down and buy some but i feel it coming... very soon. i am smitten with ruby star shining. smitten i tell you!

Barb said...

What wonderful fabrics and I like what you are doing with them.

Pat Merkle said...

I just love your blocks.

Lindsay said...

I am IN LOVE with Ruby Star Rising, but like you had I to control myself when ordering the fabric due to its price. I am hesitant to cut into the fabric though because I want to make sure I use them for the perfect project. Your bee squares would be awesome for a pillow!

Jennifer said...

I really like your bee block. He looks great!